Thursday, June 24, 2010

六月二十四日(rokugatsu nijyuyokka): June 24

There will be an election for the members of the House of Councilors on July 11. The announcement was made today and the election campaigns have started. The House of Councilors is san gi in (参議院議員) in Japanese. There are 242 members in total but the half of them will be elected. Their term is 6 years, and every three years we have an election for half of them.

At the age of 20 years old, you have a right to vote. And at age of 30 years old, you can run for the members.

When I was in the USA in 1996, there was a presidential election of the 2nd term of Bill Clinton. It was Tuesday, I guess. I was so surprised to know the date. In Japan elections are usual ly held on Sundays. And the ballot paper was very big and long.

When I was in the USA 3 years ago, there was an election. Iwas so surprised to know that it was done using PC and after voting they are given the sticker written as "I voted!"

No comments:

Post a Comment