Sunday, June 20, 2010

六月二十日(rokugatsu hatsuka): June 20

It was cloudy in the morning and rainy in the afternoon. I stayed home all day long.
The third Sunday of June is Father's Day in Japan. Father is chichi (父) in Japanese. So it is chichi no hi (父の日) in Japanese. How about in your country?
I baked hotcakes (ホットケーキ) at lunch, had kuzuzakura (葛桜), Japanese sweets and mattcha (抹茶) , green tea in the afternoon and made inarizushi (稲荷寿司) at night for my father. As presents I prepared shirts, a bottle of sake (酒), and a card. I think he liked the bottle of sake best.
I like surprise parties, gifts and cards. But at the same time I want to make somebody happy by giving their favorite things on the special occasions.
In Japan wedding gifts are usually money. Depends on the relationship the amount is different, but among friends or colleagues, it is usually about yen 30,000. But in the USA a couple registers at the department stores the things they want to have as their wedding gifts, and people can choose something according to their budget.
In a sense both are practical. Which way do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment