Saturday, March 27, 2010

三月二十七日(sangatsu nijyushichi nichi): March 27

They say today is sakura no hi (さくらの日), Day of Cherry Blossom. Why? Because to bloom in Japanese is saku(咲く). Saku has the same pronunciation as 3 (sa) and 9 (ku). 3 x 9 equals to 27. Today is 27th. Therefore today is day of cherry blossom. It was established by the Japan Cherry Blossom Association in 1992.

What did you do in 1992? For me it was a special year. I was a graduate school student but took a year leave to go to Seville, Spain to work at the Expo'92. I left Japan on March 20, 1992 and came back home one year later. I have worked for 7 months at the Japan Pavilion and saved money. Expo is a miniature of the world. I have met many people from different countries and cultures, and made friends with them. After finishing working there, I have traveled around Europe for 5 months by myself. This whole experience of the year became my treasure in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment