Sunday, March 7, 2010

三月七日(sangatsu nanoka): March 7

It rained and became cold again.
There were some marathon races here and there including my city. This was the 28th Miura International Marathon. It is a sister marathon race of the Honolulu Marathon.
9,819 runners participated in the half marathon, 10km marathon, 5 km marathon, and kid's run (800m). About 69,000 people visited and enjoyed the event. The population of Miura (三浦) is 48,496 as of Feb. 1. 
The participant's prize is daikon (大根), Japanese radish which is specialty here.
It was about 7 degrees centigrade. A bowl of hot miso soup of wakame (わかめ) seaweed was provided for nothing and about 1,200 people enjoyed eating.
When I was a teacher of this city and was in charged of the handicapped students' class, my students and I had participated in this marathon race for 5 km. To attend this race, we practiced running every day. The first month we ran for 1 km, the second month for 2 km, the third month for 3 km, the fourth month for 4 km, and the fifth month for 5 km. My colleague and I wanted the students to feel the sense of accomplishment. I believe we were successful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment