Wednesday, March 2, 2016

2016.3.2

It was fine but still cold.

It is already Wednesday here, but in the USA it is still Tuesday, and it is Super Tuesday. Therefore in our news it is broadcast as a big news too.

When I was in Washington State in 1996, it was the year of presidential election.   The hall of my dormitory was set as a voting station. I was surprised to see the voting paper which was very long. 
The big difference of voting in Japan and USA is the day of the week voting is held. In Japan it is held on Sunday because most people don't work on Sunday.  However in the USA it is held on Tuesday.  The reason is Sunday is the day to rest and not to do anything in a certain religion.  They say people used to come to the voting station by horse long time ago and it took long to arrive, that's because it became on Tuesday. But we do not know the real reason.

When I was in Florida from 2006 and 2008, there were some elections. At that time online voting has been introduced. And there were four languages or so on the screen. I was surprised to see the sticker "I Voted!"

No comments:

Post a Comment