Monday, April 19, 2010

四月十九日(shigatsu jyuku nichi): April 19

Today I went to see the movie "The Hurt Locker," the Best Picture of the 82nd Academy Award in 2010. Basically I do not like the war movie, but since it is the "Best Picture" of the year, and the showing period will finish this Friday in the most theaters, I decided to go to see it after work.
It may be a good movie, but I don't know why this became the best film.
Among ten nominated films, I only watched four of them. They are Inglorious Bastards (イングロリアスバスターズ:inguroriasu basutaazu), Up (カールじいさんの空飛ぶ家 : karu jiisan no sora tobu ie), Avatar (アバター:abataa), and The Hurt Locker (ハートロッカー:haato rokker). I want to see the rest too, but I am not sure if they are still showing.
The interesting thing regarding the title of these four movies is three of them are not translated into Japanese but they are just written in katakana (カタカナ) as they sound. The Japanese title of "Up" is quite different. But it means the Grandfather Carl's Flying House. I think this expresses the contents of the film well. If "Up" is used as other films for Japanese title, Japanese people must have no idea what is all about.
Among ten nominated movies, what do you like the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment