Friday, April 2, 2010

四月二日(shigatsu futsuka): April 2

They say April 2 is the World Autism Awareness Day (世界自閉症啓発デー:sekai jiheisho keihatsu day). It seems to be established in December 2007.

When I became a junior high school teacher after graduating from university, I was assigned as a teacher in charge of the handicapped students' class as well as teaching English. There were seven students in that class. Each student had different reasons to be in that class. One of them was autism. I have never seen autism until that time, and I did not know how to deal with the students. He had some special abilities such as memories of TV programs or dates, drawing, and handicraft. He was so talented in many ways but he did not know how to communicate with others and he liked to be in his own world.
At first I was at a loss every day, but when I look back the days I spent with them, I really appreciate to have met them.

When I saw the movies Rain Man, I thought Dustin Hoffman acted really well.
When I saw What's Eating Gilbert Grape, I thought Leonardo Dicaprio also acted really well. Autistics' abilities are really amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment