Sunday, May 9, 2010

五月九日(gogatu kokonoka): May 9

The second Sunday of May is Mother's Day here in Japan so as in the United States. We usually send carnations to mothers. When my mother was alive I did so with some other presents.
This year I got together with my cousins who live in Aichi (愛知) and Gifu (岐阜). Both of them are my mother's side. They brought their daughters too. Five of us got together at Atsuta (熱田) station and went to the Atsuta Jingu (熱田神宮), Atsuta shrine, where is also very famous shrine in Japan.
There are three treasures which are thought as the signs of Emperors. They are called sanshu no jingi (三種の神器). One is mirror, the other is sword, another is comma-shaped bead. One of them, the sword is said to be enshrined in the Atsuta jingu.
Near the shrine, there is a very famous restaurant which offers the eel dish called hitsumabushi (ひつまぶし). So five of us visited the restaurant and enjoyed eating hitsumabushi, though it is rather expensive for lunch. Before opening at 11:00 am, there was a long line of people waiting to eat hitsumabushi.
After that I visited the hospital to see my aunt. I felt she looked like my mother whom I miss a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment