Monday, May 3, 2010

五月三日(gogatsu mikka) : May 3

May 3 is a national holiday called kenpo kinenbi (憲法記念日), Constitution Memorial Day. Yesterday I saw the drama I recorded in March. During the commercial film, I happened to see the program of the next week of that time. The program was not familiar, but I was so surprised to see the guest.
She was Ms. Beate Shirota Gordon who tried to write the equal rights for both men and women in the Japanese Constitution after the World War II. At that time she was in her early 20s.
I read a book titled "Christmas in 1945" written by Ms. Beate Gordon about some 15 years ago, and I was moved. That book became one of the most favorite books in my life.
When she came to Japan and had a lecture in Fujisawa (藤沢), I went to see her for the first time. After the lecture, I had a chance to have tea in front of her with some other people. And I got to know her and we have started exchanging Christmas cards since that time.
After a few years later, there was a play titled "Pearl Necklace" dealing with her life. When I went to see the play in Tokyo (東京), I happened to see her again. And there was a movie titled "The Gift from Beate" in 2005. I saw that in Nagoya (名古屋).
I am glad to happen to see her again yesterday by the recorded video and know she is fine. Japanese women really appreciate her great job. Thank you, Beate-san!

No comments:

Post a Comment