Saturday, May 9, 2015

2015.5.9

It was a rainy day.

I left Tokushima at 10 am and headed for Nankai Mamba by bus via Naruto strait big bridge  (鳴門海峡大橋:Naruto kaikyo ohashi) where is very famous for swirling.

I changed to train and cable car and arrived at Koyasan(高野山) Mount Koya, about 900 meters high where is the most sacred place for Kobodaishi Kukai (弘法大師空海) around 2:30 pm. He opened the place 1200 years ago at the age of 43. It is a religious place and UNESCO 's World Heritage Site .
 
There are 117 temples and 52 of them have accommodation called shukubo (宿坊) for pilgrimages. I am staiying at Fukuchuin(福智院) which has hot spring for 24 hours.

I visited Okunoin(奥の院), the  mausoleum of Kukai.
I was surprised to know that there are so many famous people's graves here and that today is a very special day which happens only once in 50 years.  That is today is March 21 in an old calendar when Kukai entered into another world.
I feel very fortunate to be able to visit here on this special day.

I ate dinner at my room.
At night I tried shakyo (写経), to copy the Heart Sutra, Hannyashinkyo(般若心経).

I enjoyed hot spring too.

No comments:

Post a Comment