Wednesday, March 11, 2020

2020.3.11

It was fine and warm in the morning, but rained in the afternoon for a while.

It's been 9 years since the Great East Japan Earthquake happened.
I remember the day clearly even after 9 years.

It was fine but very cold on that day, Friday, March 11, 2011.

In the morning I went to Asakusa area to book the conference rooms to prepare for the JENESYS programme and I went to the office in the afternoon.

At 2:46 pm the big earthquake happened. It lasted long. We decided to evacuate to the nearby shrine and stayed there for a few hours. We saw our ex-office which was located in the 22nd floor of the building across the street swaying slowly. Trains stopped for a long time but when they started runing, those who could go home went home. Since I live far away from the office, and decided to stay overnight at the office. We went out for dinner at a small ramen shop. On our way back we were interviewed from the journalist because we were wearing helmets which were provided by the organization.
I stayed up all night. Fortunately Facebook was available, and I could let my friends abroad know that I was fine.
Next morning the director went to get something to eat. The director, my colleague and I lived in Kanagawa. The director was kind enough to let us go with him by Yokohama by taxi. 
From Kamioooka I took a train to home.
There was not so much damage at home fortunately. But the planned blackout started and we had to live without lights and heater for a several weeks.
However compared to the affected area in Tohoku or Fukushima, we were far much blessed.

There are still many people suffering in the area.
Those who lost their lives never come back.
We won't forget the day and their difficulties.
I hope the early recovery of the are and damaged hearts and bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment