Tuesday, November 3, 2015

2015.11.3

Today is a national holiday called Bunka no hi (文化の日), Culture Day.

It is known as hare no tokuibi (晴れの特異日), singularity for good weather. As it is, it was fine and warm.

The other day my friend from the graduate school sent me an invitation ticket for a Japanese movie. I have got the tickets before too but I had never had a chance to see them and wasted them and felt sorry about that. The movie will be shown until this Friday, so I went to see it in Kawasaki. It was only shown twice a day there, and I decided to see another movie by the free ticket of stock holder's before that. I chose "The Intern" because my friends recommended. 

Before watching the movies, I went shopping for the postcards called mochu hagaki (喪中ハガキ).  Usually Japanese people send new year's cards, but those who had lost family members during the year send them to let the people know about the loss and mourning between the middle of November and early December so that people will refrain from sending the family "happy" new year's cards.  So when we are in the mourning, we won't celebrate the new year as usual and we will have a kind of sad new year instead of "happy."
But I found the template which says something like "We are in the mouring and refrain from sending the new year's greeting but please send us new year's cards as usual because they encourage us."
I have never received such postcards but I understand the feeling without receiving the new year's cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment