Friday, May 2, 2014

2014.5.2

Today is hachijyu hachi ya (八十八夜), eighty-eighth night from risshun (立春), the first day of spring.  It is a good time to pick up tea leaves.
It seemed it became the hottest day this year in Tokyo today.

I stayed home.  Since yesterday there has been something wrong with my iPhone, and most of the data were disappeared.  I could recover the contact addresses and pictures fortunately, but some useful memorandum and schedules were gone unfortunately, which makes me so irritated.  I need to make back up from next time which I often think but I couldn't do.
I believe after bad things something good will come.
I may buy the new one in the near future.

In the afternoon I watched a Japanese movie "Fune wo amu (舟を編む)" meaning compiling the boat on the ocean.  It got six Japanese academy awards, I think.  It is a story of editors at a dictionary making publisher.  To make a dictionary it takes a long time more than 10 years.  Editors have to choose and define the words.  For example, how do you describe "right" in the sense of opposite of left?  In our daily life we regard left and right as a matter of fact and we dare not define them.  But a dictionary has to explain the word.  So in this case, when you face west, "right" is north, or something like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment