Saturday, October 18, 2014

2014.10.18

It was rather cool in the morning but very fine.

Today I needed to take one hour earlier train than usual.  I worked from 9 am to 2:30 pm.

After work I went to a kimono shop in Sugita.  There I happened to see the process of making roketsuzome (ろうけつ染) or batik printing.  It is one of two dying ways using wax.  There were 8 procedures to make one design. Please refer to the pictures below.

The other day I learned how to make yukitsumugi (結城紬) at another kimono shop in Ginza.  They say it takes 5 years or so to make it.  I saw the most expensive tanmono (反物), rolled kimono cloth there.  Can you imagine how much?  It costs yen 47,000,000.  You can buy a house with that money.

I understand why kimonos are so expensive.



No comments:

Post a Comment