Sunday, September 1, 2013

2013.9.1

A new month has started.  September is kugatsu (九月), and its old name is nagatsuki (長月) in Japanese.
September 1 is nihyakutoka (二百十日), 210 days since the first day of spring when we have many typhoons, and bosai no hi (防災の日), Disaster Prevention Day.  It's been 90 years since the Great Kanto Earthquake happened.  At schools we used to practice to evacuate on this day.  Today is Sunday, so maybe tomorrow they will practice.

At many theaters the first day of the month is a movie service day.  The regular price is yen 1,800 but on this day we can watch a movie at yen 1,000.  I went to Yurakucho (有楽町) to see two movies.  One is a Japanese movie titled "Natsu no owari (夏の終り)" meaning the end of summer which was released yesterday.  There were so many people there.  It is based on the story of Ms. Setouchi Jakucho (瀬戸内寂聴) who became a priest at the age of 51.  She is now 91 years old.  This year is the 40th anniversary for her to enter the Buddhist priesthood.  Next month I will go to her lecture therefore I decided to see that movie.  It was a heavy movie because of the complicated eternal triangle.
The other movie is World War Z.  I watched the 3D version.  Mr. Brad Pitt is my favorite movie star therefore I went to see it.  It was something different from my imagination.  When we watch 3D version, we need to pay extra charge and 3D glass fee.

In between the movies I went to my favorite bookstore and bought some books.  The reason I like there is its book cover.  The design of the book cover is flower based one.  They gave me a small present because I bought more than yen 4,000.  This was an unexpected present.  Yesterday I expected to get a DVD but I could not.  Today I did not expect anything and I got something.  I am glad to get it. 

2 comments:

  1. those are really great movies. I remember when I had japanese course skype at http://preply.com/en/japanese-by-skype, I always reward myself of a movie afterwards. Thank you for your post, made me miss watching movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. Sorry I did not notice by now.

    ReplyDelete