Monday, September 14, 2009

イチロー:Ichiro

I am not interested in baseball itself so much, but there is a baseball player I like very much. He is Ichiro (イチロー) of the Seattle Mariners.
Today he has accomplished the greatest record of 200 base hits for 9 years straight. That is the unprecedented achievement. Congratulations!!!!!
He has established so many records such as 262 base hits in 2004 which renewed the most base hits record after 84 years, and 2000 base hits which was 259th player and the first Japanese player in the Major League etc... And this is the very first record after 108 years since Wee Willie Keeler made 8 consecutive 200 base hit-seasons from 1894 to 1901. Pete Rose has 200 base hits for 10 times, but not consecutive.
Ichiro has played in Japan for 9 years, this is the 9th year for him to play in the Major League, he has become batting champions for 9 times, baseball is played by 9 players, and he made a record of 9 years. For him 9 is a lucky number.
I have never been to professional baseball games in Japan, but whenever I go to Seattle and have a chance I go to see his games.
I was very glad to get a bat-shaped ball-point pen at the Safeco Field. In Florida I got the extra-large T shirt at the stadium. I do not think you can get anything in Japan, or maybe I just do not know. Anyway I felt how generous American baseball societies are!

No comments:

Post a Comment