Tuesday, February 4, 2014

2014.2.3

It was fine and rather warm today.

Today is setsubun (節分), which literally means dividing the season.  There are four seasons in Japan and there are four setsubun.  However we mean the day before spring especially as setsubun.  On this day we scatter the roasted soybeans to drive demons away, and eat the same number of soybeans as your own age.  At night we eat a piece of the rolled big sushi called ehomaki (恵方巻) to face the good luck direction of the year without saying anything but wishing your dreams.

Today I went to the recently opened home goods store and bought four trees though I did not mean to do so.  I have wanted to have some fruit trees for a long time.  I happened to find the nursery trees in front of the shop and decided to plant them.  They are cherry, plum, persimmon, and kawazu zakura (河津桜) which is pink cherry blossom blooming in February.  I hope they will grow and bear some fruits in the future.   

No comments:

Post a Comment