Tuesday, August 7, 2012

2012.8.7

Today is risshu (立秋), one of nijyushisekki (二十四節季), the 24 solar terms.  The last one was taisho (大暑) on July 22, and the next one is shosho (処暑) on August 23.  Risshu is the beginning of autumn.  It is still very hot and humid and the summer continues, but on the calendar it is already autumn. 
Until yesterday our midsummer greeting was "shochu omimai moshiagemasu (暑中お見舞い申し上げます)," but from today we should say "zansho omimai moshiagemasu (残暑お見舞い申し上げます)" for late-summer greeting.

Speaking of Japanese summer which is very hot and humid, there is one thing I really like, that is fireworks festival.  Today there was the one at the beach near my place.  Many young couples were wearing yukata (浴衣),  Japanese summer kimono.  There were about 3,000 fireworks for 45 minutes from 7:30 to 8:15 PM.  The last 5 minutes were the climax.  Here attached the video I took with my iPhone.  I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment