Wednesday, August 19, 2015

2015.8.19

It was rainy in the morning but became fine and hot.

In the morning people from the funeral company came and set up the alter. Then a basket of fruits arrived and flowers arrived.
The room of six tatami floor mats has been decorated in a few hours.

In the afternoon there were some visitors to say good bye to my father. Since they came to see him a week ago at the hospital, they were so surprised at this sudden happening.

Around four my father's younger brother & his wife and younger sister arrived.
It's been 12 years or so since I met them last time at my mother's first year memorial service.

At six pm tsuya (通夜: wake) started with priest's sutra recitation and lasted for an hour.

We have names of this world and we asked the priest to think of my father's new name of the other world.
Usually one character is picked up from one's name of this world. My father's name is Asao (朝男), so asa (朝) is used and it was made as Shaku Docho (釈道朝). Shaku is surname of Jyodoshinshu sect and Docho means to show the people way.
My father used to be an official servant of the Marine Self Defense Force and he has been very rigorous and serious nature, so the priest named so. It is called homyo (法名), Buddhist  name.
In other sect it is called Kaimyo (戒名), posthumous.

No comments:

Post a Comment