Tuesday, January 26, 2010

一月二十五日(ichigatsu nijyugonichi): January 25

What nicknames do you have?
I have some nicknames. They depend on the people who call me or the depth of the relationship between me.
For example, yesterday I had a reunion of Expo'92 attendants. When I worked there, I was a graduate school student after working at a junior high school for several years. Therefore most of them called me "teacher(ティーチャー)." Some of them call me Kimiko-san, others call me Kitani-san. San (さん) means Miss, Ms., Mrs, or Mr. You can use this prefix for both men and women to address Japanese people politely.
My friends from high school call me Ham (ハム) because of my name. My name is written as 公子(Kimiko) in kanji character, and the first one is composed of two katakana character ハ(ha) and ム (mu). Therefore they call me Ham.
My friends from university and my cousins call me Kimi-chan. "Chan(ちゃん)" is usually used for small boys and girls. Regardless my age, they still call me Kimi-chan.

No comments:

Post a Comment