Monday, January 18, 2010

一月十八日(ichigatsu jyuhachi nichi): January 18


Yesterday I attended hatsugama (初釜), the first tea ceremony in the year at my master's house. Hatsu (初) means first and kama (釜) means iron pot. When I was younger, I went to learn the tea ceremony once a week after work, but these days I only attend the special occasions.
In these occasions I wear kimono (着物), Japanese traditional costume.
There are many different types of kimono. On Coming-of-Age Day, women wear the long sleeves kimono called furisode (振袖). These are only worn by unmarried women.
At wedding ceremony, brides wear white kimono called shiromuku (白無垢), and at the wedding reception they put on a little bit longer one called uchikake (打ち掛け). Married women wear black one with family creast called tomesode (留袖).
I wore homongi (訪問着) with family crest yesterday. Homon (訪問) means visit, gi (着) means wear. Homongi is a semi-formal wear. The characteristic of homongi is its colorful pattern running continuously over the seams. Similar kimonos are called tsukesage (付け下げ). But they don't have continuous patterns over the seams.
I like wearing kimono.

No comments:

Post a Comment