Sunday, April 8, 2012

2012.4.8

April 8 is known as hana matsuri (花まつり), literally means flower festival. It is the Buddha's birthday festival. He was born about 2500 years ago in Lumbini, India where I traveled last September.
Today I had a meeting in Asakusa (浅草) where there is a famous temple called Senso ji (浅草寺). I went there later. There were so many people there.
On this day people celebrate Buddha's birthday by having a Buddhist memorial service called kanbutsue (灌仏会), by pouring hydrangea tea on the statue of little Buddha in the small flower temple called hana mi do (花御堂), and by drinking hydrangea tea. Hydrangea tea is called amacha (甘茶), literally means sweet tea which I tasted today for the first time.
At the Sensoji temple they offered not only amacha but also handed out a stalk of a flower of Dendrobium. I felt lucky to be there and to get them.
Then I walked to Ueno (上野) where is very famous for the cherry blossoms. There were so many people there too. It is the best day for hana mi (花見), flower viewing. In this case flower means cherry blossoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment