Sunday, June 28, 2009

奇跡の人の日(kiseki no hito no hi): Day of the Miracle Worker

They say June 27 is kiseki no hito no hi(奇跡の人の日), Day of the Miracle Worker because Helen Adams Keller was born on June 27, 1880. After 19 months, she got scarlet fever and became deaf and blind. The encounter with Annie Sullivan changed her life and she became the first deafblind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree. She graduated from Radcliff. The relationship between Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan lasted for 49 years long.
She published 12 books, and visited 39 countries. In 1964 she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
When I was an elementary school student, one day my teacher asked the class "Who do you respect?" I still remember that I said I respected Helen Keller.

No comments:

Post a Comment