Wednesday, February 18, 2009

雨水 (u sui)

Today is u sui (雨水), one of nijyushi sekki (二十四節気), 24 terms. The last one was risshun (立春) on Feb. 4 and the next one is keichitsu (啓蟄) on March 5.
U sui literally means rain water. That is it is the time to change from snow to rain that falls from the sky in this time, and it is the time for snow to start melting. Around this time it is considered that the coldest peak has passed.

In the world history, they say today is the Day of Airmail. On Feb. 18, 1911 the first official flight with air mail took place in Allahabad, India for an airshow. Henri Pequet, a 23-year-old French pilot, delivered about 6,500 letters to Naini, which is about 10 km away. He made the journey in thirteen minutes. The letters were marked "First Aerial Post, U.P. Exhibition Allahabad 1911" according to Wikipedia.

I like writing and receiving airmails. Whenever I travel, I try to send postcards. In December I sent Christmas cards and New Year's cards to my friends around the world. To my surprise it took nearly 50 days for my new year's card to be delivered to Florida this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment